Picturing America School Collaboration Conferences
Angela Hanshaw | May 12, 2009
Is your school participating in Picturing America? Looking for fresh ways to use the images in your school? Then check out these three new national conferences for teachers and librarians, to be held in Boston, Chicago, and Newark and sponsored by the National Endowment for the Humanities. The conferences will provide opportunities for educators who have already received the Picturing America images to:
- observe models for teaching American art, history, and culture with the Picturing America portfolio and accompanying Teachers Resource Book;
- explore the value of visual literacy for subjects in the core curriculum; and
- develop individual or team teaching plans.
Seven conferences will be held between the months of August 2009 and April 2010. For more information about programs, dates, and eligibility, visit the links below.
- Primary Source, Boston, MA; two conferences on August 3–4 and August 5–6, 2009.
- Newberry Library, Chicago, IL; two conferences on October 23–24, 2009, and April 16–17, 2010.
- Newark Museum, Newark, NJ; three conferences on dates to be announced.
Teachers and librarians may apply to more than one conference, but if accepted may attend only one.
Angela Hanshaw is Program Officer/Web Editor for the ALA Public Programs Office.